maandag 30 september 2013

Introducing the band: Milan Boom



1. When and why did you start playing?
I started playing the drums when I was 6. At 8, I switched to acoustic guitar and a year after that I picked up my first electric guitar.

2. Which instruments do you play?
My main instrument is electric (and to a lesser degree acoustic) guitar. Furthermore, I can slam on a drum kit and a bass guitar in time with the music, have a basic understanding of piano and I recently started playing the bouzouki.

3. What was the first tune(s) you learned?
Boston - It's more than a feeling. I managed to play that on my first acoustic guitar at age 8.

4. Is your family musical?
Yes. Both my parents have performed with bands in their twenties.

5.  Which famous musicians do you admire? Why?
At age 9, I saw Steve Vai's performance on the Crossroads DVD. That performance inspired me to switch to electric guitar. Over the years I've come to know quite a few great guitar players like John Petrucci, Paul Gilbert, David Gilmour and Stevie Ray Vaughan. These players with their own unique playing styles inspired me to develop my own way of playing guitar.

6.  Which famous musicians have you learned from?
 John Petrucci, Paul Gilbert, David Gilmour and Stevie Ray Vaughan. 

7. Describe your first instrument. Other instruments.
The first guitar I ever played was a beat-up 3/4 size classical guitar. My first electric was an old (but very good) Epiphone SC-450G Scroll I found in the attic.

I've owned many guitars over the years. Swapping them out for increasingly better ones. This is a list of the guitars I currently use for live performances with The Royal Spuds:
My Ibanez getting some action.

PRS SE Custom 22 Semi-hollowbody
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Fender Stratocaster (U.S.A. Special, hot rodded/"blackified")
ESP LTD EX-401DX
Morgan W1CE semi-acoustic (yes, we occasionally play acoustic sets/songs!)

Other guitars in my collection (at the moment of writing):

BaCH XPL FR
Schecter Hellraiser C-7 FR
ParamountX semi-accoustic
Zen-on western guitar
SigmaGuitars 12-string western guitar
Century 5-string bass guitar

8. What are your fondest musical memories? In your house? In your neighborhood or town?
Listening to rock&roll music as a toddler. My parents played it for me to keep me quiet.

9.  Were you influenced by old records & tapes? Which ones?
I was raised on a musical palette ranging from classical music to hard rock. Therefore, I've never had the need to stick to a single genre to play.

10.  Who are your favorite musicians? Groups? CD's?
Ayreon, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Symphony X, Racer X, Slayer, Metallica, Europe.

That's just scratching the surface, really. I know and love so many bands it would be very time-consuming to comprise a full list!

11.  Have you been in competitions? Fleadh's? Any prizes?
I have, with The Royal Spuds. We're currently in several band contests.

12. Do you perform in public? Describe those occasions? Concerts, radio, TV?
I play quite a lot of shows with The Royal Spuds. I especially like playing on festivals, but every one of our shows is a party!

13. How do you handle mistakes during a performance?
If the mistake isn't noticeable (doesn't interrupt the song) I play along as if nothing happened. If it's really obvious I messed up, I laugh, pull a face and continue on anyway. The show must go on!

14. Do you get nervous before a performance or a competition?
Not nearly as much as I did when I first started performing live. I still feel slightly anxious whenever I walk onto a big stage, but as soon as I hit the first note that feeling instantly disappears.

15. What advice would you give to beginners who are nervous?
If there are people in the audience, they've most likely come to watch you perform. Keep your head up and play your music. Made a mistake? Re-read question no. 13!

16. Do you attend sessions? What makes a good session?
Occasionally. If there's chemistry between the attending musicians, good music will follow.

17. How often and for how long do you practice?
In high school I practiced at least 2.5 hours a day. With work, study and lots of live shows I'm down to an average of half an hour a day.

18.  What do you practice - exercises, new tunes, hard tunes, etc.?
Scales, chords and progressions, new songs.

19. Do you teach music?
I've taught a few of my friends guitar in high school.

20. How do you balance your music with other obligations - mate, children, job?
I don't plan on having children for at least the next decade. Iplan on finishing my education this year. After that, I plan on dividing my time between my girl, my job and my music!



Photo's by: Nouzie van den Bos and Cornflower Photography

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten