woensdag 9 oktober 2013

Introducing the band: Mark de Jong


1. When and why did you start playing?
I started playing the drums when I was about 8 years old. Before that I already beat on a drum kit, and of course my parents’ pots and pans. I also made my own drum kit out of closets and plastic containers.
All of this started because I went to a YES concert, and saw Allan White playing a huge drum kit.

2. Which instruments do you play?
I play drums and electric guitar.

3. What was the first tune(s) you learned
Hmm.. not really a tune. The first song I played though was Another Brick in the Wall.

4. Is your family musical
Yeah, a guitarist, accordionist and a couple of singers.  

5. Which famous musicians do you admire? Why?
Allan White, his drums are a big part of the melody. Without all the other instruments it still sounds as a complete song to me.  


6. Which famous musicians have you learned from?
Smelly
Travis Barker
Simon phillips

7. Describe your first instrument. Other instruments.
My first kit was a cheap standard 5 piece drum kit from Basix with some Basix cymbals. Later I added cymbals from Paiste and Zildjian.

The drum kit I currently own:
Tama 6-delig BMW- SL62HZBNS-BMW Superstar Custom Hyperdrive.
Istanbull alchemy rock hi-hat 14’’
Sabian crash cymbal 16’’
Paiste crash cymbal 18’’
Sabian thincrash cymbal 18’’
Anatolian ride 20’’
Dw 4000 twinpedal

I also have two electric guitars:
Epiphone SG
Hudson HTCX Hot Cherry

8. What are your fondest musical memories? In your house? In your neighborhood or town?
Every musical memory is a great memory in its own right. But the best one is the first show I played with the Black Roses, the band I played in when I was in elementary school.

9. Were you influenced by old records & tapes? Which ones?
 Everything influences me to be honest.

10. Who are you’re favourite groups?
Lots of punk like: NoFX, Bad Religion, Pennywise, The Bouncing Souls, The Ramones and De Heideroosjes. I listen to every type of music though.

11. Have you been in competitions? Fleadh's? Any prizes?
With The Royal Spuds we won the Live & Lazarus audience award. Right now we’re in three other competitions.
In the past I competed with other bands as well.

12. Do you perform in public? Describe those occasions? Concerts, radio, TV?
We’re playing quite a lot with The Royal Spuds.

13. How do you handle mistakes during a performance?
That’s different every time. Mostly I act as if nothing went wrong. Sometimes, when a fill is too short or too long I play a kick instead of a snare, if the rest keeps playing everything gets back in place again. Every mistake is different though, so you’ll react different every time as well.

14. Do you get nervous before a performance or a competition?
I actually don’t. Sometimes I have to poop a lot before a show though.

15. What advice would you give to beginners who are nervous?
Some people just drink beer before a show, this will influence your playing quality. I’d say: look at the other bands or sit backstage with your own band and play some songs to get ready.

16. Do you attend sessions? What makes a good session?
Very little, I used to attend more than I do now. A good session happens when there’s enough beer and everyone’s listening to each other, so don’t just do your own thing.

 17. How often and for how long do you practice?
I try to practice as much as possible. But there’s always neighbors complaining when you’re beating the drums.

18.  What do you practice - exercises, new tunes, hard tunes, etc.?
Badass fills, weird measures and speed!

19. Do you teach music?
No.

20. How do you balance your music with other obligations - mate, children, job?
Shows during the week are often tricky, I work ‘til 5 and we have to be at the venue at 7 to set up. Dinner’s somewhere in between. Working the day after a show is never good, sleepy in the workplace. In October we have 2 shows almost every weekend, so there’s not a lot of time for other people.








 Photo's by: Nouzie van den Bos and Cornflower Photography












Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten