maandag 14 oktober 2013

Introducing the band: Maarten van Vliet

1. When and why did you start playing?
I think that was about 11 years ago. I heard 'Be Like That' by 3 Doors Down and wanted to learn how to play it. It's also about the same time I started singing, in a school band.

2. Which instruments do you play?
I started out just singing, later I added the guitar. Now it's all banjo, and the odd bouzouki and tin-whistle (still practicing that one), for me. In between I tried bass, ukulele, violin, and I think I tried some percussion.

3. What was the first tune(s) you learned?
On guitar, "Seven Nation Army" by the White Stripes, on banjo "Drunken Lullabies" by Flogging Molly.

4. Is your family musical?
Not as far as I know. My sister plays the guitar, but that's about it.

5.  Which famous musicians do you admire? Why?
Jeff DaRosa, Winston Marshall, Brain Setzer, Matt Freeman, etc. etc. Why? Because they're all awesome at what they do!

6.  Which famous musicians have you learned from?
I have a songbook by Gerry O'Connor, so I guess I learned from him.

7. Describe your first instrument. Other instruments.
My first guitar was a cheap acoustic one, I think a Spanish guitar, no idea about the brand though. Later I bought a third-hand beat up electric guitar. Still no idea about the brand.

Over the years I've owned (don't judge me if I don't know any types!):

Ibanez Artcore
A Hudson semi-acoustic guitar
Ibanez 12 string
An electric bass guitar (it says Muse on the headstock)
Cheap Ukulele
Walton's D Whistle
Stagg electric violin
Another violin
MAIN Mandolin semi-acoustic
A brandless guitarbanjo
A brandless 3/4 acoustic guitar
And my Aria Banjo

8. What are your fondest musical memories? In your house? In your neighborhood or town?
One of my fondest is the first live concert I ever saw. It was at a local venue I never even knew excisted. A friend of mine dragged me there. There was a metal band playing, and it was loads of fun. My first experience with live music. 


9.  Were you influenced by old records & tapes? Which ones?
Not really

10.  Who are your favorite musicians? Groups? CD's?
At the moment my favorite band is The Dreadnoughts, but that might change when I find something new. Other great bands are of course the Real McKenzies, Dropkick Murphys, Rumjacks, NoFX, Stray Cats, Katzenjammer, The Clash, The Creepshow, Sublime, and many many many many many many more!




11.  Have you been in competitions? Fleadh's? Any prizes?
Yup, like the other guys explained in their introductions.

12. Do you perform in public? Describe those occasions? Concerts, radio, TV?
Yup. Everywhere, as much as possible. Exposure!!

13. How do you handle mistakes during a performance?
I don't, I just keep playing.

14. Do you get nervous before a performance or a competition?
Not anymore, I've been playing in bands and on stage for so many years now. The last time I've been really nervous was the first gig we played with The Royal Spuds.

15. What advice would you give to beginners who are nervous?
I always like to drink a few beers before a show, a few. Too many? You're playing horrible. Too little? You might get nervous. 
Also, remember that it always gets better after the first song.

16. Do you attend sessions? What makes a good session?
Every now and then in a local bar. 
A good session is one where everyone gets to play.

17. How often and for how long do you practice?
Not going to lie here, pretty much never. I practice new songs or songs I find difficult to play, but that's about it.

18.  What do you practice - exercises, new tunes, hard tunes, etc.?
New songs ;)

19. Do you teach music?
I think I've tried to in the past, but I'm not a great musician, so teaching isn't my job. I don't know any theory and can't really explain what I'm doing. I'm learning though!

20. How do you balance your music with other obligations - mate, children, job?


At the moment school's priority number 1, since I've been going there for far too long now. Music and mate are a tied second though. 


 Photo's by: Nouzie van den Bos and Martin Evers

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten