dinsdag 22 oktober 2013

Introducing the band: Dave Schrijvers

1. When and why did you start playing?
I started playing when I was around 16 years old. My first intention was to play bass, but I started on an acoustic spanish guitar.

2. Which instruments do you play?
I mainly play bass, but I can also play a bit of guitar ( chords and stuff )

3. What was the first tune(s) you learned?
The first song I really learned on bass was season in the abyss-slayer. The band I started with played this song, so it was the first thing I picked up.



4. Is your family musical?
My mother really likes to sing, but that's about it.

5. Which famous musicians do you admire? Why?
I don't admire special musicians, but I admire part of music or songs some musicians play, but this is a wide variety.

6. Which famous musicians have you learned from?
Not one in particular, I learned all the techniques I play from my bass-teacher, Alex v. Elswijk.

7. Describe your first instrument. Other instruments.
The first instrument I owned was a cheap-ass spanish guitar.
The first bass I owned was a 60's Avora Jazz bass. ( also cheap-ass by the way ).

My gear at the moment:

main bass:
Vig cobra-pro ( 5 string )

backup bass: 
Dean Edge ( 4 string )

amp:
Ashdown Engineering 300W amp.

8. What are your fondest musical memories? In your house? In your neighborhood or town?
I don't have a fondest memory, I have many fond memories, but the one I remember best was our gig in "de Meester-Almere" on st.Patricks day. Everybody went mental when we played!
9. Were you influenced by old records & tapes? Which ones?
Not in particular..


10. Who are your favorite musicians? Groups? CD's?
I like all sorts of music: Korpiklaani, Finntroll, Eluveitie, Blind Guardian, Kontrust, Gogol Bordello, Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphey, Doe Maar, Spinvis, Boudewijn de Groot, Wardruna, Metallica, System of a Down... This list is far from complete, it really depends on the mood i'm in.
11. Have you been in competitions? Fleadh's? Any prizes?
At the moment we're competing in de Popprijs westland. On 16th november we will play in the finals! 

12. Do you perform in public? Describe those occasions? Concerts, radio, TV?
We are very active with the Royal Spuds, performing in public as much as possible

13. How do you handle mistakes during a performance?
Just keep smiling and concentrating.

14. Do you get nervous before a performance or a competition?
It depends on the gig, but sometimes I do. I am always hungry when we have to play, so most of the times I have extra food with me..

15. What advice would you give to beginners who are nervous?
Get used to it!

16. Do you attend sessions? What makes a good session?
A good session is when everyone has fun, it makes practising a lot easier.

17. How often and for how long do you practice?
I try to play at least an hour a day. When we have an important gig I practise a bit more.

18. What do you practice - exercises, new tunes, hard tunes, etc.?
All the above.

19. Do you teach music?
Nope.

20. How do you balance your music with other obligations - mate, children, job?
When you have a hobby it takes time, so a lot of free time goes to playing, but that's what I like. 



Photo's by: Nouzie van den Bos and Cornflower Photography

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten